Saturday, March 9, 2013

Finding a House



Oi's new school.










Back to the farm to find a new house in Chum Phon. I got horribly sick with the flu shortly after arrival which dampened any fun I would have on the grueling search for a new abode.

After two days of fruitless searching and a couple of red herrings we were pretty exhausted and in despair.

As we were heading home we spotted a falang going into a shop. Oi said, "Go and ask him." I jumped out the car and somewhat awkwardly approached the chap and inquired rather sheepishly of any vacant properties he may know of. In a manner not unlike Micheal Caine he replied, "You met the right man on the right day!" He asked us to follow him on his motorcycle and led us to the house we are now in possession of! What a relief! What a joy! Just as we were giving up hope Lady Luck comes waltzing in.



Oi confirmed and signed a contract for her new job and every day after our work was done we rested at the farm. It was blazing hot, of course and I was feeling lousy with a thick head full of cold, but at least we had somewhere to relax. I read part of a Star Wars novel I picked up (the story follows immediately after The Return of the Jedi) as is storming fun actually. I played a lot of games on the ipad and sunk a few cans on a couple of nights.



Grace had a whale of a time with her cousin Ot on the farm. There was a poor puppy and a terrified cat which were tormented beyond despair during the visit. In fact, there was the constant din of crying children and plenty of pee and vomit. The hot nights were spent in a tiny room under a mosquito net. When the toilet summoned, one had to crawl out and fumble around in the dark for the hole in the floor loo. I was reminded of the brochure of my Iceland trip back in 1997 which read, "Guests will not expect comfort." That wasn't too bad, but this tested even my neanderthal facilities. Lucky I had done a ton of swimming prior to the trip thus I was feeling fairly limber. 



So now we are back in Hat Yai having arrived on a Sunday morning to stupefying traffic jams which only serve to remind me of why it is good to leave here. We have to pack, make some final farewells and get the Hey out of here.

Chum Pon offers fantastic recreation and a more social and fun life for us, with the family close by. There are beaches, islands, caves  waterfalls all waiting to be explored.

The only main outstanding thing for me to do is to get a job. But that's a different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment