Thursday, May 2, 2013

Last Days of Freedom

I start teaching next Tuesday.

I went in on Wednesday as I thought we had a preliminary meeting, but I was wrong. There was no meeting, but I did meet and chat with some of the Thai staff who all seemed very pleasant.

So, I am on my last days of the holiday. It has been fun. We haven't done a lot and much of the last week has been waiting for my last paycheck from Smart to come through. There has been some horrible things going on back in Hat Yai, but, for the moment at least I am sworn to secrecy. One day I shall tell all. Looks like we got out at the right time, though, as I like to remind Oi, I did want to leave last year.

So, we have been ambling our days, lying about playing games, watching TV shows, trips to the shops, swimming pool, playground and out and about the local countryside.

I have really enjoyed some of the TV shows. Searching through Metacritic for the best ones, then downloading and viewing. I really like Game of Cards with Kevin Spacey, Pie in the Sky with Richard Griffiths and Vikings. Game of Thrones should be Game of Groans or Drones. God! Is it boring. Long scenes of someone moaning. It looks great but its boring to watch. Such a shame.

Gamewise Might and Magic Duel of Champions reigns supreme. I also bought Dead Island which is a Zombie bashing fest from 2011, and now a cheapee. I bought it through Steam, along with the excellent Skyrim and Far Cry 3.

Today the pay came through and I bought a giant salami for 680 baht. I then proceeded to make scrummy French bread stuffed with lettuce, tomatoes, salami and onions. London Pride is back in so I bought a couple of those and a bottle of gin. Actually, when I first arrived in Chumpon I found Gilbey's gin (the cheapest (they also make vodka) in a shop in the town for 390 baht. I thought that wasn't too bad. Then I saw the same bottle in Tesco for 320 baht and then again in Makro for 295 baht. You can guess where I buy it. Makro is also best and cheapest for tonic.

Making great food and drinks is something that my mum taught me and you can never lose with it. Cheap to buy and delicious. Lots of onions and garlic lightly fried in olive oil.

It's definitely time for Grace to head to school. She's getting a little too comfortable around the house, demanding milk and Charlie and Lola at any time of the day. Time for some strange teacher to put her in her place I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment