Wednesday, May 8, 2013

New School

I'm writing this from my desk at my new school in Chum Phon.

I'm in an air conditioned room which I share with four other English English teachers and a Filipino. It's all rather comfy. It's very refreshing for me to talk to other Brits and they are all fairly mature and decent folk. I'd say the school were lucky to have them.

It's a big school and a lot of fun for me. I'm teaching 14-15 year olds and class sizes are 25 students which is very manageable. I went straight in with a rod of iron to dominate and gain total control of the class. Any brats vying for attention are ridiculed and the subject of scorn to quel them of any desire to disrupt the class. So far the kids have been great and it's lovely to see some eyes shining with the acknowledgement of knowledge received and appreciated.

I try to teach them everything I know about not being shy and to speak often to quickly improve.

Coming home I have been exhausted, my legs aching for 5 flights of stairs and the physical strain of working. I feel buzzed, like I have just walked 30 miles with Jonathan Snowdon, but hopefully I will get used to it and be able to enjoy homelife without falling asleep. And I really do want some time to play PC games for myself.

Grace and Oi have gone to their school and have lots of stories to tell. Grace is very dominant and demanding, wanting to know everything and even dragged the teacher off to a cave near the temple next to the school. They had to tell her there was a big snake in there to stop her from going further in. She's a lot more active than the other kids and we hope there won't be any problems. It should be okay.

So, now I'm on a track of work that will take me to October, and it's much more demanding than my old job where I finished at 11:30 in the morning. I will have to start utilizing my time again and being more efficient.

More later....

1 comment: