Saturday, October 12, 2013

Rest

Privates were cancelled allowing me to kick back and relax. Grace has been entertained by the family who came over for the day. Pee Gip, a lovely young girl of about 8, has come to stay with Grace. You have never seen such a well-behaved child; very calm and quiet and not exposed to too much. Ipads and painting activities really make her eyes open, with all this wondrous stuff Grace commands. Yes, Grace is quite savvy with a lot of things. We have spent a good week with each other. It's fun to see her so delighted with stuff. She loved the King's Project and walking around the town, in all the shops. I am keeping her well supplied with paints and drawing pads, dutifully replacing them as soon as they run out (they're only 15 Baht each, so you can get the whole set for about 120 Baht or so.

Next week Oi and Grace and I are all off work, so we are planning to do some day trips from home, though I believe we may spend a couple of nights up at Cabana beach and eat some yummy pizza and English food. Actually, there is an English girl who runs this food and bar on the beach and not only does she cook wicked food, but she is a kind of indie chick like Harriet Wheeler from The Sundays. The sort of indie girl you would run into in a club in Brighton or some pub in Portsmouth.

Last night I went to Ekie's bar in the town by the train station. It's a fun place and not only are there the local teachers at the watering stop, by there are always young, white people with backpacks on their way to or from the islands for their holidays. Makes for a lively place. I know the lads here quite well now and can have some fun. Everyone seems very stable and not about to hate me for using the word, "intelligent" or something.

So, trying to enjoy some time to myself and sit back in my comfy chair and listen to some music.

Incidentally, suffering with my lower back pain was becoming unbearable. I resorted to Utube vids of stretching exercises which I started to do. I know most of them from years of dabbling in these things. Anyway, by Jingo! it's working and my pain has noticeably reduced, which is wonderful. Thanks God, I was beginning to worry it was irreversible. I will keep at it, with most vigour.

Riding my cool bike with my new, gel bum-bag, super comfy shorts, I got bitten by a bloody dog. Just a nip but it drew blood and required jabs and numerous trips to the hospital in the coming months. I hate dogs in this country. I want to go back and shoot it. Ad, of course, you can't do anything. Along with the crazy driving and weekly 20+ die in van accidents, dog are the other major piece of idiocy here. Why? Why? Why? Dogs hobbling around with 3 legs, people happily ignoring it with absolutely no thought for it whatsoever.  They won't kill it, but they won't do anything with it, except occasionally put down a bowl of rice for it, as its scabs and pustules bleed and sweat in the blazing sun.

I digress..

No comments:

Post a Comment