Tuesday, October 8, 2013

King's Project

Today, I went with Grace to the King's Project. A series of dams and waterways his nibs engineered to save the town from flooding. It's quite impressive and there is a model farm there that Grace loved. They had frogs, and chickens and ducks and lots of fish, and a very sweet jungle village with walkways between the different structures. It was all free and good fun riding along the side of the endless canals.

Earlier, Grace spent a couple of hours at some kiddies friend's house in Sunnyview. I was aimlessly riding around outside on my mountain bike until Dominic appeared and invited me in for some orange pop as he put it. Actually, Dominic is a bit of a treasure. From Newcastle and pretty much a Commie. He showed me a photo of him in Moscow meeting the curator of the museum and we spoke at length about Russian history and the like. I had just the night before been listening to a particularly interesting In Our Time episode about the peasant-come agriculturalist scientist that Stalin adopted, though his science was fatally flawed and millions starved, so I could talk about that, and everything that Mr. O'Brien, my brilliant History teacher, had embelished upon me. Dominic is rather fun and quite unique in this part of the world.

I bought some special padded cycling shorts today at great expense and am dying to try them out just to see if I do actually get a sore arse. Later I hope to acquire shoes and helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment