Saturday, February 23, 2013

Moving On

It's four thirty in the morning and I finally thought, "Let's get back to the blog."

The curtains on my life in Hat Yai are drawing to a close. Early in March we shall board the night train to Chum Pon to go search for a new house. It's exciting stuff and I am looking forward to it. Hat Yai has been a great experience, but it's definitely time to move on.

I am now on holiday and am thinking of projects to pick up again now I have even more free time to play with. My main project this holiday is to start making Tortilla bread. I have sat through a couple of Utube "how to" vids which were excellent. In a few hours time, I shall venture to macro and acquire some ingredients and give it a go.

I have also picked up some Star Wars comics and novels which I put on the Ipad and have started reading. It's rather relaxing to disappear to another galaxy for a while and read about The Imperial Empire and Boba Fett.

I have done a ton of swimming lately and aim to continue. I have lost weight and my eating has been generally pretty healthy. I'm eating a lot of baked potatoes in various guises, mixed in with tuna salad or covered in fried onions and tomatoes. I love it!

Grace is growing up lovely and both Oi and myself marvel at having a child. She's so much fun. I took her swimming yesterday which she loves and we can stop off at the shop to by some snacks for home. All good times.

I'm really looking forward to Chum Pon. I can't wait to start exploring and discover great places to visit. We are always kicking around in Hat Yai wondering what to do. Hat Yai is a trading hub and it shows. It's full of busy people speeding around and making money. Chum Pon appears more rural and slower paced.

Behind me I will sadly leave my old friend Tom, who has been so wonderful. A caring and easy going dreamer who enjoys conversation, good times and music. We hope to hook up on Koh Phang Ngan before the end of the Thai Summer.

World News? Ever stupefying. I wonder how the big blue ball of war keeps turning. Tom and I were just shaking our heads and our latest assessment of the state of Mankind. Sometimes it seems like we are minutes from self annihilation, most folk employed to support the civilisation with no real connectivity on the actual planet that we live on. Like Dustin Hoffman as the mountain man in the movie Little Big Man I shall try to retreat still further from the realm of Man. What was the bit that led him to return to society? When he found the trap where an animal had chewed through it's own foot to escape the trap.

I won't miss the heavy traffic in Hat Yai. These thundering trucks transporting earth scare the shit out of me and the roads are covered with white paint lines outlining the latest road accidents. They really ought to reconsider the driving test in this country. Several times arriving at school I am told that a family has been wiped out in some horrific high speed crash. Being in a giant 4x4 won't save you when you are traveling at 140k/h while talking on the phone with no seat belt on. Someone commented on the forum here how people race home at frightening speeds from work to arrive home to do nothing. It baffles the mind.

That's enough moaning for now...




1 comment:

  1. The most dangerous time on the road in Valencia is one thirty when people are rushing home for lunch.

    ReplyDelete