Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Hard Times for Thailand

Right now tons of shit is going down in Thailand. Well, two big fat turds anyway.

One is the amnesty bill that the government, headed by Thaksin's sister put in place to get Thaksin back into the country. This has meet massive opposition and the streets of Bangkok are heaving with protesters. They have abandoned the bill and things are still on tenderhooks as to what happens next. The students at my school have called a strike for 3 days to join in the protest, which means I am on holiday!

Second, is the International court ruling on a border dispute with Cambodia circulating around an ancient temple that just got World Heritage status, whatever the fuck that means, which of course meant millions of dollars from dumb tourists, so a fight broke out. On Monday the court came down on the side of Cambodia leaving Thailand fuming at lost dollars. Oh well.

As well as this Thailand has also waking up to reality of bailing out rice farmers in giant subsidies and a growing crisis of personal debt, which has been snapped up by the populus.

Yes, its all coming to a head.

For me, life has been about working and resting and playing with Grace. Not much else. I sneak some ciders in with Les from school, but will have to kerb that, a recent hike on tax on booze makes imported beer unreachable. It will have to be a couple of Leos.

I went out on my bike last night, first time since I got bitten by a dog. I will just keep to main roads now and run the risk of being hit by a car instead. It felt great to get some exercise, and it is a lovely bicycle.

Gaming gets most attention as it is cheap. Still battling ahead on World of Tanks, and a couple of new games, XCOM and King Arthur's Gold which are indie and a hoot.

In Our Time dominates my nighttime, and musicwise I have been picking up Paul Simon albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment